The Metro Detroit Youth Training Program is an annual opportunity for youth aged 16-25 to connect with like-minded peers from local communities who are passionate leaders of change in their schools and communities. Participants develop advocacy and leadership skills during the program and have fun through interactive, team-building activities.
Applications are now open through May 31, 2022.
Future Pilots uses the “science of drones” to help prepare young innovators for future success and achievement in a rapidly changing and exciting 21st-century aviation industry!
The Future Pilots experience is inquiry-based STEM in the fullest sense! STEM comes to life in our introductory course, Drone Technology Fundamentals. Students discover, take risks, fail, and try again as they engage in real-world teamwork, problem-solving, and intentional career exploration. Future Pilots makes drone technology and flight knowledge tangible, hands-on, and inclusive.
Beyond STEM, the Future Pilots curriculum fosters Social Emotional Learning (SEL) by engaging students in situations that encourage leadership, cooperation, respect, and self-control while building team relationships. Our mission is to blend STEM with SEL to develop tomorrow’s Future Pilots, confident adults who feel ready to navigate the complex and rapidly-changing realities of the world together.
The program includes 6-weeks of classroom instruction and online e-learning instruction.
Program Start Date: Friday, July 08, 2022
Program End Date: Saturday, August 20, 2022
Weekly Class Schedule
- Friday Classes - 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm – In-person drone obstacle course training.
- Saturday Classes - 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm - In-person drone obstacle course training.
- Program is hybrid academic online e-learning and in-person drone obstacle course training.
Program Student Requirements
- An individual must be 16 to 24 years of age or older, a U.S. citizen or, an eligible non-citizen.
At Program Completion, Students Receive:
- Students Receive Federal Aviation Administration “TRUST” Certificate of Completion
- Students Receive a Beginners Drone System after completion of drone course training ($300 value)
Program Integrated Education and Training
- Drone Pilot FAA TRUST Test Preparation. Education of the industry and the future of drones.
- Real-world STEM application for the next generation of young future pilots.
- Drone Technology science math, reading and writing applications.
- Flight tutorials and basic programming. Flight control, coding and obstacle agility racing, and challenges.
- Lesson plans encourage students to work within small teams to achieve common goals.
- Safe drone operation and the social responsibilities of flying drones.
- Introduction to drone photography and film for young future pilots.
- Career Exploration. Understanding the capability of drones to create an entrepreneur’s mindset and future career.
- Program Cost $ 1,395.00 • Call: 248-237-3600 students may qualify for a reduced enrollment discount.
Enrollment deadline May 31, 2022 - HURRY LIMITED STUDENT SEATING
Questions? Youth Enrollment Information